- To transmit rational and critical knowledge of Spanish literary traditions in order to enable students to understand the language's current forms.
- To ensure students acquire a basic knowledge of the main characteristics of the Spanish language from both synchronic and diachronic perspectives.
- To provide a basic knowledge of the methods, techniques and main analytical instruments in the field. Students will acquire the basic tools required to examine any linguistic or literary document critically, as well as to be proficient in dealing with any research method related to the process of the identification, selection and collection of information.
- To ensure that students will acquire a basic knowledge of the fundamental concepts of the different branches of linguistic research: concepts, categories, theories and topics.
- To ensure that graduates are able to express themselves with clarity and coherence, using the terminology specific to any particular field, as well as having a knowledge of other languages.
- To ensure that graduates have acquired the professional skills that will enable them to carry out functions in state or private organisations, the media or in other businesses in the sector with reliability and professionalism.
- Capacity for analysis and synthesis.
- Capacity for thinking critically.
- Capacity for learning and for exploring human heritage.
- Capacity for teamwork and personal relationships.
- Knowledge of and sensibility to cultural diversity.
- Ability to plan and organise projects.
- Ability to communicate in Catalan and Spanish both in oral and in written forms, in addition to the acquisition of a good command in foreign languages.
- Ability to use the specific terminology and the techniques related to academic and professional environments.
- Critical mastery of Spanish from the different grammatical perspectives: phonetics, phonology, lexis, morphology, semantics, syntax, discursive, pragmatics and sociolinguistics.
- Ability to analyse and reflect on the structure and functions of Spanish and ability to understand and identify different registers and dialects.
- Knowledge of the linguistic thought and ability to critically discern one theory from another and to apply them to the scientific study of the language.
Personal language competences
- Command of Spanish from different grammatical perspectives: phonetics, phonology, lexis, morphology, semantics, syntax, discursive, pragmatics and socio-linguistics.
- Ability to analyse and reflect on the structure and functions of Spanish, and to understand and identify different registers and dialects.
- Knowledge of language theories and the ability to critically discriminate between them in the scientific study of language.
Personal literary competences
- Knowledge of the main texts, authors and literary movements in the Spanish language, as well as its historical evolution in a literary and socio-linguistic context.
- Knowledge of literary theory, its movements, evolution, methodology and categories, including genres and other literary forms.
- Knowledge of the relationships between historical and social events and literary output in Spanish-speaking countries.
- Instrumental language and literary competences
- Knowledge and command of rhetorical, stylistic and other resources related to the process of literary creation and the objective optimisation of oral and written communication in Spanish.
- Ability to analyse, evaluate and correct the grammar and style of oral and written documents in Spanish.
- Critical, theoretical and practical knowledge of, and the ability to participate in the design of interpersonal communication processes addressed to the general public for informative, persuasive, didactic and commercial purposes.